By scheduling meetings intentionally and using time wisely, we’re being accountable to each other for holding productive meetings.
Here are some guidelines for scheduling successful meetings at CPPR:
- If you need to schedule a one-hour meeting, schedule it for 50 minutes, rather than 60. This allows time between meetings to reset – mentally and physically. Always consider how long the meeting needs to be – if you need a quick huddle for a group of travelers to choose a flight, for example, 15 minutes should be plenty. If you need to ideate, you will need a bigger chunk of time, and it probably shouldn’t be at 3 p.m. on a Friday, when most of us aren’t ready for a heavy lift.
- All meetings should have a purpose statement in the invite. If you can’t come up with a purpose, odds are you don’t need to have a meeting.
- All meetings should have a point person. This person should be identified in the invite. Their role is to make sure everyone has the information needed before the meeting, that the meeting starts and ends on time, and that everyone is mindful of the meeting’s purpose. The point person should make sure that background, proposed action, and decision points are communicated before the meeting – the invite is a perfect place to house this information.
- Most meetings fall in one of a few categories, and considering your category can help you identify the length of the meeting needed.
- Decision making
- Information sharing (not a report-out – everyone needs to be in the same place to make it work)
- Debrief/lessons learned/next steps
- Producing a document or plan
- Relationship building
- Consciousness raising
- All meetings should have a Zoom link with the following information:
Join Zoom Meeting
One tap mobile (If a participant is calling from a cell phone, this link will automatically dial the number, enter the meeting ID, and connect to the meeting.)
+16699006833,,442512025# US (San Jose)
+16468769923,,442512025# US (New York)
Dial by your location (Numbers for those joining by phone.)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 442 512 025 (The meeting ID needed to join the call.)
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abz86C7jq7
- For meetings involving technology (the OWL, GoToMeeting, etc.), reserve the meeting room for 10-15 minutes before to allow setup time.
Last Review/Update: June 2019